Having rain gutters protects your landscaping and the siding of your house and protects the foundation of your home. If you do not clean your gutters, they will become filled with sticks, leaves, and other debris. These materials will clog the gutter and allow water to seep under your roof and sometimes into your foundation.
Another danger of not cleaning your gutter is clogged ones can create ice dams during the winter. If ice dams form on your roof, it can cause water to leak through your shingles and damage your home’s interior walls. If the ice dams are left unattended, they can tear off your gutters, loosen your shingles and allow for water to damage ceilings in your home as well.
It would be best if you cleaned the gutter on your home at least once a year. If you’ve experienced a severe storm or weather condition or have overhanging trees, you should do it more often. These are tips for how to clean out your gutters.
How to Clean Gutters
These are steps for cleaning the gutters on your house:
- Having the proper equipment is the most important thing before you begin cleaning. You will need an extendable, sturdy ladder. Place the ladder on a stable surface, making sure nothing is under it to cause it to shift. It would be best if you also had someone with you while you are on the ladder to ensure it does not tip
- Cleaning your gutters will be a messy job. Wear proper work pants, a long-sleeved shirt, and rubber gloves
- Place a tarp under the area where you will be cleaning. The tarp will protect your landscaping and yard from falling debris as you scoop it out
- When you locate debris inside the gutter, remove it with a small scoop. A child’s sandbox shovel is ideal, or you can find small scoops at the local hardware store. You can also use old plastic spatulas or spoons from your kitchen
- Once you have removed all the debris, use your garden hose to flush the gutters and the downspouts. It is an excellent time to check the condition of your gutters when you are flushing them. The running water will alert you if there are any leaks in your system
- As you are cleaning and flushing your gutters, check for any areas that may be sagging. If you locate any, these areas should be reinforced with gutter hangers
Keeping your gutters cleared of any debris is important. These systems are designed to direct water away from your home. If they are not cleared, it will disrupt the flow of water during storms or melting, which can cause significant damage and allow for the growth of algae.
Cleaning out the gutter on your home is a tedious and, in some situations, a dangerous task. Professionals, such as Gwyndow’s Window Cleaning, can safely clean out first and second-story gutters and save you valuable time. Benefits of having your gutter cleaned by a professional include:
- Professionals will recognize and be able to address any necessary repairs
- A professional will have experience working on a ladder. Standing on ladders while you perform a gutter cleaning task can be dangerous
- Professional cleaning services will have the proper equipment needed to complete the job
- Having a professional perform the gutter cleaning will save you significant time
Professional Gutter Cleaning
Gutter cleaning is an important maintenance requirement for keeping your home safe and protected from damage. Gwyndow’s Window Cleaning will clean your gutters by hand without the use of pressure washing. Our specialists have the experience and knowledge to safely and affordably perform this task, so you can rest assured your home is protected from clogged gutters.